Main Forum

Where to approximately place the game area on the worldmap? ++

3 replies
Votes:
+1
Hey :) I'm part of a group of people wanting to jump into Conan: Exiles on our own private server. We're all RP'ers and want to be IC. There's one thing, straight off the bat (ok, several actually), that we need solved lore-wise to do our backstories properly and not have to retcon later, and that's the question of where the ingame area is/could reasonably be located on the map? If some of you have had this discussion, maybe you could, without spoilers, give out hints?

What we know, without knowing ingame lore, is that it is an area where criminals from (seemingly?) multiple cultures are sent to die. An area with an ancient, fallen civilization. Somehow, you also get a bracelet that kills you attached, should you move away from that area (never mind that crucifiction should also kill you... Ahehm). Also, from what I can see, it's an area with desert, jungle, river, volcano, mountains and snow biomes (ahehm x 2). 'Realistically', that'd put it around the Black Lands, if one said the snow biome was at high altitude... But if so, it's even more 'weird', that several cultures spend resources moving some random criminals half a continent, in order to crucify them and leave again.

So, there are quite a lot of things that don't make sense immediately, if you are interested in coherence and being IC. Are there good ways to deal with this, that supplements ingame lore? If not, we can just make up our own theories, but it'd be nice to be compatible with the game when we RP.

So, specifically:

1. Why do the different cultures move criminals inside that area to die? Or is it e.g. one culturally diverse city, that does so? The latter is easier palatable I guess.

2. Why do you get this bracelet (apart from the gamey explanation for why you can't leave?). Or, since answering that might be spoiling, who puts it on you? "it'll make sense ingame, it's ok your character doesn't understand this at the beginning" is a perfectly fine answer if true.

3. Where roughly IS this weird place? It'd be strange if no exile would know 'roughly', guided by looking at the stars, the climate, the fauna, how long they were transported, etc. Maybe teleporting is/can be involved? Maybe it's a sorcerous made-up area resembling a theme park? What explanation is compatible with in-game lore?

If there's no lore ingame explaining any of this, then that's fine, that'd mean we are free to (try to) make up our own theories, but before going there, I thought it'd be great to ask here :)
Posted Oct 2, 18 · OP
Votes:
+24
There is a reason it is hard to place, because it isn't anywhere on the maps of Hyboria.
If I recall and deduce correctly, the exiled lands were formerly a magical realm inhabited by the ancient race of giant-Kings, whose Acheronian-like architecture you will find strewn leisurely across the land, and the Lemurians who inhabited the jungle and the coast.

Some sorcerous ritual went afoul, which messed up the climate seriously and unleashed the sandstorm and left pockets of corruption spread across the land.

So what you got now is an ancient kingdom on a magically created plane, which is currently in use as some sort of magical dumping ground for human trash.

I think, at least...
Posted Oct 5, 18
Votes:
+646
Admins
Online on Site
There is a ton of speculation over the location of the Exiled Lands and Funcom has remained deliberately cagey about it. Most folks seem to think it's not terribly far from Stygia. There's obviously more land beyond the ghost fence so it may not be in some sorcerous pocket dimension. It's suggested that Thoth Amon discovered The Ring of Set there as well as the secrets of the bracelets and the ghost fence itself and then began offering it as a dumping ground for undesirables to the ruler of Stygia and, later, others as well. Whether located in the physical realm or not, it seems as if it is indeed "removed" from the rest of the world but that may well just be part of the magic that surrounds it.
AbinIjg.png
Posted Oct 8, 18
Votes:
+1
Great, thanks for the feedback both of you. Close to Stygia was also what we went for, and it seems to work out naturally enough in our RP :)
Posted Oct 11, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Top Posters
691 Posts
209 Posts
203 Posts
196 Posts
171 Posts
Happy Birthday!
Upcoming birthdays (11)
Birthday on Fri 26 Apr, 2019