Main Forum

Serpent men

3 replies
Votes:
+15
Now when going to the volcano on Conan Exiles and seeing the Serpent Men - my thoughts were -

Kull and Valusia.

I'll explain why -

Kull's time happened beforr the time of Conan, long before and Kull is from Atlantis however the focus is more on "the serpent men." I'll take this from the wiki about them - In Robert E. Howard's King Kull stories, the serpent people worship a god known as the Great Serpent. Later writers would identify the Great Serpent with the Great Old One Yig and with the Stygian serpent god Set from Howard's Conan stories.

But after the descrution of Valusia they went to Yoth, a cavern K'n-yan in North America(Also known as the Pictish Isles of the Kull stories), Tsathoggua idols brought their downfall again by Yig as they abandoned him, thought who still followed Yig were forced to go to Mount Voormithadreth in its caverns.

And in Shadows in the Skull by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, they are mentioned on the Conan stoties for the first time, so tis possible Funcom added more to the Serpent Men by having them in this unknown land they added to Hyboria.
Cha cheòl do dhuin' a bhròn uil' aithris.
[It is no music to a man to recite all his woe.]
NY0KLwG.jpg
Posted Jun 29, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 29, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+2
The important question - since I haven't read all De Camp/Carter books - do they explicitly mention Mt Voormithadreth? It would be lovely to know in what context. (i can verify they mention the ingame location of ruins of Nebthu alright, it was in one of those of Carter's books i have actually read.)

From what i understood K'nan, Yoth and N'kai are kind of names for Terraria-style depth levels of the same network, deeper ones possibly connecting continents and islands. so yes np with serpent folks moving between continents. Howard also implies their tunnel system was (at least in the times of Kull) way more all-encompassing than it comes across at first glance.
Most obviously the serpent men are the same ones Kull fought in Valusia and that gets hammered down over and over, ingame and generally - that's fairly obvious and not reasonably open to dispute.

Now what i do not recall precisely, did the serpent men really convert to Tsathoggua? I was under impression that it was the human refugees of K'nan who allied to serpents and picked up the cult of Yig from them first - and then got the idols found by a random expedition and converted.
Posted Jun 29, 18 · Last edited Jun 29, 18
Votes:
+15
"After the destruction of Valusia, the Serpent Men escaped to Yoth, a cavern beneath K'n-yan in North America (ironically, the Pictish Isles of the Kull stories). They built subterranean cities, of which only ruins remain in the modern age. Explorers from K'n-yan visited Yoth frequently to learn more of the Serpent Men's scientific lore. Their next downfall came when they brought idols of Tsathoggua from N'kai and abandoned their patron deity Yig to worship their new god. As retribution Yig placed his curse upon them, forcing his few remaining worshipers to flee to caverns beneath Mount Voormithadreth."
Is from Howard's work.

Spoiler: more informationShow
Cha cheòl do dhuin' a bhròn uil' aithris.
[It is no music to a man to recite all his woe.]
NY0KLwG.jpg
Posted Jun 29, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+2
Oh thank you soooo much. This is the kind of reference i was wondering about whether it exists. So yes, apparently it's both human and serpent worshippers, pretty much as it is ingame, complete with a major Great Old One artifact, Trapezohedron. Kudos to devs for picking it up.

This game won't stop surprising me. Also this backstory you reminded me can be so many ways of meaningful to a Stygian/Setite character.
Posted Jun 29, 18 · Last edited Jun 29, 18
List
Undo
Top Posters
681 Posts
209 Posts
199 Posts
196 Posts
171 Posts
Upcoming birthdays (11)
Birthday on Sun 24 Feb, 2019
Birthday on Sun 24 Feb, 2019