Main Forum
Page
of 2

Armor and Temp's: A critique

15 replies
Votes:
+34
Please bear with the following.

1: This is going to be several posts long. Please wait till I put "end of critique" in a post. This is not to be a dick, but simply so it all stays in tact before others respond.

2: This is a personal critique, others may not share it, others may. This is being posted in hopes that the Dev's see this and at least think of implementing some changes to the current system.

With that being said, let me go over the lay out.

Every post will handle one armor alone. A picture or pictures will be included to illustrate points. At this point the critique of said armor subject will begin, whether positive or negative. At which point either a summary of why it should stay the way it is, or why it should change will be shown.

Thank you for taking the time to read this intro while the posts are being written, and please once more I ask you wait to respond till I have finished.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
1st: LIGHT ARMOR (Base Game)
Spoiler: PicShow

Starting it off light.

Anyone, anyone? Yeah I'll see myself out after this.

To be honest this one makes sense. Light fiber threads, the core of the body is well exposed. The head is kept cool by a light turban, along with arms, leggings (A skirting really for posterity's sake) and open toed shoes. My personally feeling is this should offer a bit more cooling, but as it stands it is well suited for the game. No changes I can see are needed nor need to be addressed.

Rank: Well done, well thought out, and makes common sense for the setting as a Neutral Armor
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
2nd: MEDIUM ARMOR (Base Game)

All right...to begin with this armor confuses me. It covers even less of the core of the body then the light armor. It has much more exposed contact wise on the leggings then the light armor skirting.
Spoiler: LegsShow
Literally it is a single piece Kama and a pocketless sporran (Kilt terminology). You wear booty shorts essentially in this set underneath the Kama. Your hands are covered entirely in line with the chest piece (which is essentially shoulder guards and a chest brace) and your feet are covered in a studded leather booting. Your face is covered entirely from debris by a breathable cloth mask, and kept safe by a studded leather helm with rolled cloth around the rim of said helm. Here is the issue with all of this.

It's Base Game Armor. Made for the desert. It covers less of you on contact then the Light Armor. An armor made for the desert.

And it Heats You Up.

Why? Why is this? I couldn't keep warm in that get up if I wanted to. (And before you tackle this particular point, it is aimed at neutral armors. I am more then aware of the setting we play in, and that will be addressed in later posts.)

And more importantly...you've made the armor useless. It's base game, in the desert...which can not be used due to making characters over heat in several places of the map in the south. It's like handing a star metal meteor landing outside of the spawn zone. It now serves no use except as something that is required to create another more useful item for the North. Which mind you....Is designed to keep you warm up north.

Rank: The Temperature setting for Medium Armor (Base game) makes no sense what so ever and in it's current state serves no purpose at the level it is given aside from a prerequisite to making other armor. Please, change this to a cooling effect so it is of actual use to the players who do not wish to use Race specific armors, such as the planned Stygian, Zamorian and Zingaran armors, or the already used Shemite and Vanir armors. Make neutral armors actually of use, and you will have (In my opinion) a happier player base.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP · Last edited Sep 22, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
3rd: HEAVY ARMOR (Base Game)
Right, first we are going to look over the attributes of the armor. As you can see above, it is a piece on the chest consisting mainly of layered leather armor spotted by studs of a large caliber. The one armor consists of the most "heavy" attributes of the armor. A full sleeve of sheet armor, layered over on another in an over lapping pattern. But note here
Spoiler: StrapsShow
It is held mainly by over lapping thin straps of leather, keeping much of the "soft side" of the armor exposed to the elements.
The layered leather itself only covers HALF of the core body. The other arm consists of the same studded and layered leather armor ending in the same sheet metal armor as the full sleeves gauntlet does.
Moving down the armor we witness what consists of a sewn in "arm jack" look of sheet metal plates. Not connected but integrated into more of the same leather. This of course ends in the armor itself, no leggings to speak of.
Spoiler: Side and Bottom viewShow
Much of this skirting is also layered leather. The boots are front shod with the same sheet metal but mainly consist of leather.

The issue? Same as the base game medium armor, an armor that's designs hail from hotter climes....warms you.

It Heats you up. Why? Again this armor was created for the base game and to be the players first experience with heavy armor. Yet it heats you up.

And before we get into "It's metal, it is going to heat you up." Yes, it will...but not to the extent you believe, and using the current logic...not as it should. You will see more of what I mean when I address Hardened Steel Armor, the second tier of heavy armor and....even more confusing.

Rank: The armor consists of a good make and model, and would fit spectacularly as the first neutral armor of heavy class for the player base....if it could actually be used. Given it's current temperature state, it is unusable in most of the lower regions, and unfortunately due to the added issues of Hardened Steel (And no I don't mean weight, just hold and see below) it doesn't even fulfill the same purpose as medium does to guarantee a template to make other armors of use.
It needs to cool down the player, not heat it up. Otherwise it's base as the first heavy armor is useless on all fronts.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
4th: REPTILE ARMOR (Dregs recipe reward)

To be honest, originally I did take issue with how this worked. Reptile skin cooling you down? But reptile skin doesn't work that way...till I had thought more on it and indeed it does. A reptile has to sun bath itself for hours upon hours just to keep it's body temperature regulated due to it's cold blooded nature. Yet if a human does as such they heat up instantaneously from such activity. And while this is due largely in part to our blood being warmed by our system, it also has to do with the relative softness of our epidermis and dermis system. A creature who has to sit for hours on end just to keep warm for a bit of activity is likely fighting a much thicker skin to receive warmth. And as such someone wearing a leather jack but lacquered with reptile scales would relatively keep cooler then someone wearing scale mail of the same design with metal.

Rank: This armor both makes sense and with the temperature modifications and ease of repair, makes a great reward for those in the southern regions.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
5th: Climbing Gear (Recipe reward for a feat)
Again, I take no issue with the armor stats on this. Gear of this nature would have to be able to cool down the user from exertion, so not as to create an over exaggerated sweating among the user. And exposure to colder elements when using them would indeed end in frozen finger tips as well as cold feet.

Rank: It serves its purpose well and is a great addition to the games varied armors.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
6th: Religious Armor's (Base Game AND Frozen North)
Spoiler: SettiteShow
Spoiler: YoggiteShow
Spoiler: MitraenShow

For the base game armors these all make perfect sense for their religions. Each is from a warmer/milder climate. Each is far reaching into the southern reaches of the world. Set, Yog and Mitra armors should and do cool you down. And here is where we hit the kicker. What I believe was done to make it an of ease of use tool but personally just falls short.
Spoiler: Ymir BelieverShow
For one...it shares the exact same model with Star Metal, one of the end game northerner armors shared by Nordheimers. Which is both A: Heavy Armor and B: Warms you.
Ymir's shanks, Aegis and the lot cool you down. How. It covers the core of the body nearly entirely with a metal breast plate and fur lined leather. While the arms are exposed, unlike the medium armors kama the legs are not. Those are heavy metal plating integrated from the top of the belt down the skirting, and even layered with a second sheet of metal. Your not going to see that easily move to keep yourself cool. To keep yourself mobile? Yes. To keep yourself cooled down...not so much.

This could be easily solved by a different armor model being implemented as Ymir's. Perhaps something along this line
Spoiler: Shaman RobesShow
I am aware that is from the show Vikings, but don't focus on that. Look to the robes itself. Loose linen robes, shamanistic effigies and idols hung about the neck. Perhaps a mask over the eyes with runes covered into it for Winters Embrace. These things would make more sense then a copy of Star Metal.

Rank: If the models could not be made different, then at the very least please change the armor to warm you up then cool you down. Makes little sense for a religion based primarily in the north, but due to the fact I realize that it would be better to be starting it's use in the south, perhaps going with a change in attire then reusing the model for the star metal would be best?
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
6th: NPC Armors
Spoiler: Relic HunterShow
Spoiler: Dogs of the DesertShow
Spoiler: Black HandShow

Let's go over what is good first.

Relic Hunter is spot on. A silken and light leather look with a turban and face covering that keeps you cool in the desert heat. Yes, common sense wins again as it is shown this armor cools you down.

And then we have Black Hand. Again, common sense dictates the way as this light leather and hide scrapped armor is built to keep yourself protected yet cool.

And then...we have Hyena Fur Armor, or armor for the Desert Dogs. And....it heats you up.

Why. You have less of a kama covering then medium armor (more like you just left the skin off your latest kill hanging off your belt), your core looks to be well covered till you see the chest mid is completely exposed by leather straps. Your hands and feet are left exposed, and essentially your just wearing a skull with leather straplings coming off the back. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing. But not to be heating you up. It is for one, based on an NPC faction based in the south. The South. Make it usable for the south then. You already have armor to keep you warm of the fur variety and it even makes sense. This does not by neither subject, basis or purpose.

Rank: Most NPC faction armors make great sense except for the Hyena Fur. This needs to cool you down, not warm you up. If for nothing else then the fact it is based off an NPC Faction in the desert. Many in areas where if you put on said armor in the same area's as the desert dogs *yes, this has been tested in game* you will over heat.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
7th: Race/Nationality Armors
Spoiler: VanirShow
We'll start with Vanir.
Now, my usual picking point would be the core is not covered to be as warming as it is. I will set that aside for this, to state the following.

Conan has a look to it, and to keep in line with that I feel certain racial/nationality armors should infer bonuses depending on their origins. And Vanir is the perfect first example of this. It exudes the more bestial nature of the Vanir versus their kin the Aesir. It speaks of bloody battle and the Ymirish blood that runs through many vanir that would make their works and their clothing more in line with who they are as a people. The fact that despite the heavy lining cross straps of the chest piece do not cover the core, speak volumes of the northerner look we grew to love as AoC players and others from before it. It is barbaric in nature and does not need to change.

Next, Shemite
Spoiler: ShemiteShow
This one again speaks volumes for the ideals of national armors. And open turbaned silk and linen look for the discerning desert dwelling people. I do believe however that it should infer more cooling then it does, in keeping with the national clothing inferring more bonuses.

Rank: It does well, but I believe it should infer more cooling then just a point each. Likely two points as the light armor helm basic does at the least.

Onto the first of the Zamorian clothing, the Dancer. (I say first because the dancer will not be the only Zamorian in game)
Spoiler: Zamorian DancerShow
Now this one I am entirely fine with being not so much a bonus of cooling. But I would like to state perhaps the ability to dance around others and infer the same health bonuses while wearing this armor, such as level 3 dancers do.

Rank: It works well, but perhaps making these a prerequisite to infer a healing bonus would be apt, to allow players to play a healing/dancing/entertaining archetype.

I will cover proposed armors from Twitter at the end.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+34
8th: FUR ARMOR (Frozen North)

Now....this to me is amazing. The armor speaks volumes for the thought I know the dev's can place into the game. For the very fact that upgrading this armor into flawless not only warms you up, but gives you a fur mantle to SHOW it is warmer. More like this should be implemented into the game, visual tells that a player has achieved a flawless or otherwise upgraded item. That personal opinion aside, looking at that armor you can tell it will keep you warm. Which is exactly what it does. Heavy woolen and fur trimmed with a linen sash. It looks as it shows, and that alone is amazing.

And to go back to a prior post....This is exactly why Medium Armor (Base game) does NOT need to warm people up...another neutral armor as Fur already covers that

Rank: Never change fur armor...you are what we all wish we could be.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 2
Top Posters
658 Posts
211 Posts
196 Posts
171 Posts
170 Posts
Upcoming birthdays (11)