Main Forum
Page
of 6

Notice Share Your Game Experience Here!

55 replies
Votes:
+6
Right outside of the cannibal camp at the end of the southern river I constructed a pyramid. My slaves are being broken upon a wheel of pain already, and the altar of Set glistens red with the hearts of almost a dozen sacrifices. Those who travel the area have begun to know the sight of a pyramid as a landmark, and they have begun to treat Amenset as a guardian of the river valley. Food is plentiful, and while I lack any notable weapons or armor I have an abundance of npc defense and a strong defensive structure for protection.

Only a handful of people on the server are rp-ers though, but those who are not seem to be respecting the iconography. If only because they do not have the weapons or levels required to oppose more advanced structures yet. :) I might try this again on a dedicated RP server if I decide on one that's good for me.
Posted Jan 31, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+31
Spawned in. Buttons sometimes worked. Saw an ogre looking thing. Ran into a pond. Game froze. Reappeared next to a campfire, still frozen. Killed by a crocodile.

Considering a refund tbh, that whole episode took almost a full two hours.
Posted Jan 31, 17
Votes:
+17
The game is pretty great. I just wish there was a way to bind the up and down arrows to WASD, it's really awkward for me to play right handed. The left and right arrow keys rebind fine but the up and down do not.
Posted Jan 31, 17
Votes:
+60
Do you mean for swimming or forward/backward? Cause up and down for swimming you can do with your left hand - spacebar for up, left control for down.
"Why do good people pick the wrong people in love?"
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky.
Always follow your heart.
-Aethos Desiderio
Posted Feb 1, 17
Votes:
+3
I started on Co-op mode, only to find it keeps you in a certain radius around the host, and kind of learnt the basics of the game there. Then I flipped through like four RP servers and started up on each one, learning tricks for survival and quick starts along the way!

Finally settled on the Deghomesh RP server, and had a relatively peaceful start! Picked myself a spot under the aqueduct, and learnt from my previous starts how I wanted to build my house, and did so!

Down the river a wee ways, there lives a crocodile. He likes to eat people. I've found three corpses there, and after killing the croc, I put their belongings into a chest in case the owners come back for them! No one has, yet :<

Otherwise, I've explored way up north to the ponds on the map, almost, before getting crippled by hyenas and scary plantbug monsters - would NOT recommend going solo - and have kind of hit the point where EXP is coming in -real- slow, and I'm kind of bottlenecked by it. So I spend my time gathering, cooking and fighting, and I might start helping out adventurers as I see them!
Posted Feb 1, 17
List
Undo
Naatok a
Votes:
+95
Admins
My initial experience was creating a 'solo' server to explore the mechanics.

Hunger / Thirst timers are too fast.
Time should be a minimum of 24 game hours to 6 real hours. Default time setting is way too fast.

Combat currently is simplistic, but I prefer this to the standard MMO model.
Avoiding death by violence should not be the problem it is at first once a player gets used to not being able to block blows with weapons, and to dodging and maneuvering using the controls.

Crafting will be, by far, the most interesting portion of the game. From the perspective of a lone survivor.

Advice:
From the beginning, gather, gather, gather and craft, craft, craft until you have the skill to make a sword!

You can get food from gathering plant fiber. Not nice food, but it will keep you alive.

NPC human opponents are simplistic. If they're just standing there, charge them from outside melee range while holding down your attack button and aim for the head. This 'power attack' drains more stamina, but it's super effective!

If you have no weapon and are beset by something you can outrun, RUN!
P.S. Not the hyenas. The fuckers have a quick charge and if they use that on you while you're giving them your ass, it's your ass.
13.jpg

"The oh so eathing Velvet Darkness they fear - Heed! - wherefore delve a barrow?
When in my arms "O! Come here" - I say, elsehither is naught but sorrow!
For what deemest thou so dear thy blood - When through my veins it could flood?"

-Theater of Tragedy, "Bring Forth Ye Shadow", from "Velvet Darkness They Fear"
Posted Feb 1, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+86
@Naatok ,
There are sliders in the server settings both for increasing/deacreasing the day/night cycle as well as the rate you gain thirst or hunger.

If you are playing single player it is an easy enough change, if not once you pick a server to settle down in you can reach out to the admins and community and perhaps after one of the EA wipes that are sure to come they can set the server settings a little more to your liking. I agree that the cycle is too short. I think we'll see most servers settle around a 2/2 hours or 2/1 hours cycle. That makes it long enough to be meaningful and have in impact on gameplay, but not so that an unlucky log in leaves you with a four hour play session of fumbling in the dark.

As far as my experiences, I certainly enjoyed it. I have an ISP that is just fine for playing online, but when it comes to downloading from steam its not the best. Even buying the game as soon as I walked in the door from work it still wasn't until long after the kids were put down for bed that it finished, leaving me with a scant 45 minutes before I needed to trundle off to bed.

I made level 3, figured out quite a bit, was left scratching my head with others.

Overall I see this as a keeper, I really love these types of games (the idea at least, in practice these games usually turn in a psychopathic murderfest -but hey with single player I don't have to worry if it takes that route).

It ran well enough, it's obviously an early access title, place holder naming, bad animations, spartan interface, etc, but all the core elements are there, and they work and work well. If Funcom continues to polish and add features I can see this being something I regularly invest both time and money in (assuming they release DLC and expansions for it).

I piddled around on a private server, was killed by a cannibal and his two friends because I came to close to their camp and couldn't figure out how to block with my hatchet (I don't think you can). After that I was more careful with where I went and ended up doing just fine.

I hope future iterations adds more AI routines. I would rather fight less often and see less enemies if their AI was more advanced that the standard MMO design of "stand here slack-jawwed until player gets within X then KILLLLLL!!!!!!"

I do have a few questions maybe a few of you can answer:

-They talked about wanting to do a player skill based combat system as opposed to something more like AoC, I assumed we would see something along the lines of Mount and Blade style combat. I can't seem to do figure out any attack other than just spamming the mouse button. It seems to work, but I'm scratching my head about the "skill" part. Personally I'd perfer any RPG to be character based rather than player based as it doesn't make much sense to me to call yourself a "role playing game" and then basically saying; "but you can't play any of these roles that affect more than half the game unless you are 16-24 and have excellent hand eye coordination." Still all I can envision now is players running in circles around each other with the current meta armor and weapon and clicking the left mouse furiously until one dies. Then the other is l33t and we should all be in awe of her mad skillz. Am I missing something about the current combat system?

-Another question, when my axe broke (same with my shield) it was red in my quickbar but when I pressed the corresponding button I re-equiped it and it was at full strength again. Is this a known bug, I would think you'd have to build a new one?

-Is there a place to submit bugs, or isn't it this kind of beta?

Overall great experience and I can't wait to get home from work, get the kids to bed and log back on again. I'll probably be applying to someones server in the near future. I've had some real good experiences roleplaying in the past, but also some real bad ones (Once from the same group), so I'm a bit hesitant, or at least unsure as to which group I would enjoy the most. Probably dither in single player for a while trying different settings (perma death, etc.) to see which type of server I might like the best.
Posted Feb 1, 17
List
Undo
-Another question, when my axe broke (same with my shield) it was red in my quickbar but when I pressed the corresponding button I re-equiped it and it was at full strength again. Is this a known bug, I would think you'd have to build a new one?.

You can repair your gear for far less resources than it took to build them, even when completely unusable. Not sure if you discovered a bug or if that auto-repairs them, when it happens again, check if it uses resources? (like 4 stone to repair a pickaxe to full from 0)
Posted Feb 1, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+86
wrote:
You can repair your gear for far less resources than it took to build them, even when completely unusable. Not sure if you discovered a bug or if that auto-repairs them, when it happens again, check if it uses resources? (like 4 stone to repair a pickaxe to full from 0)

Thanks Sayon, that makes more sense as to what might be happening. I'll pay attention to that tonight and see if I lose any materials when re-equiping a destroyed item.
Posted Feb 1, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+98
wrote:

Thanks Sayon, that makes more sense as to what might be happening. I'll pay attention to that tonight and see if I lose any materials when re-equiping a destroyed item.

It's not a bug, it's a feature - once I learned that it would do that, it made things much easier. This auto repair only happens when the item is broken; you simply click the hotbar/key for the item, and if you have sufficient materials, it does autorepair for you. You do have to drop to the Inventory screen to do a repair if it's not fully broken.

This only works for held items, though. Broken armor, on the other hand, falls off your character and the broken version goes into your inventory; where it can be repaired from the Inventory screen if you have the materials. This is the climax (pun intended) to the story of, "I Was Depantsed By Angry Hyenas." (Cool but true story, bro)

Yes, you are playing a game with Clothing Damage. How this will or will not affect the Fighting Pits on Lleilwin's server is up for debate, but again, you can technically strip someone down by breaking their clothing. If I gotta explain any further... you ain't old enough and you never played Soulcalibur, etc.
3765500.jpg
Posted Feb 1, 17 · Last edited Feb 1, 17
List
Undo
Page
of 6
Top Posters
658 Posts
211 Posts
196 Posts
171 Posts
170 Posts