Main Forum
Page
of 17

Funcom community manager checking in

161 replies
Votes:
+109
I hope that you guys consider things that will set this survival game apart from all the rest. x)
Posted Aug 23, 16 · Last edited Aug 23, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+191
I've seen some of the stuff Witchingbones is working on, and it's pretty dope. :) Some of it should be coming up on our Facebook page tomorrow and the next couple of days. Hopefully you'll like it!

Regarding some of the stuff you've already mentioned I can actually confirm certain things right away. Taming animals, for instance, is planned for post-Early Access launch. Mod support is also on our post-Early Access roadmap. Emotes and a full chat system will be in the game as well, but for the Early Access launch in January it might just be very basic text chat.

What you'll see once the first build comes out will probably be very buggy and unfinished, but we're in it for the long haul and will continue to iterate on it once it's been released.
wrote:
Set worshipers get to feed their victims to snakes and rip out their hearts. While Yog worships get to throw victims into pits. We might as well complete that circle with being able to burn victims at the stake too. Please add that for Mitra Worshipers.

I think you're gonna like our religion system. ;)
I only have one more request from you and the dev team. Some kind of regular official response. Things have been so quiet from you guys until this thread, aside from your screenshots on reddit, etc. Even the small team at 7 Days to Die gives a weekly blog from the lead developer of everything he is, was, or will be working on. Until we see and hear things from you guys, our brains will imagine great things, in hopes that they will be there.

I understand completely and it is definitely something we should get better at.
Funcom community manager, working on Conan Exiles.

http://twitter.com/ConanExiles | http://facebook.com/ConanExiles | http://reddit.com/r/ConanExiles
Posted Aug 23, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+47
The survival genre tends to have a number of issues in general, but a big one is that with a MMO survival game you have to focus as much attention on the social aspects as are put into the combat and survival aspects. Without a solid social system to build communities, MMO's of all types tend to have short lived communities, and player bases that start large and over several months fall apart. ARK and Rust are good examples of this, for slightly different reasons.

Mod support needs to be put into a higher priority than post EA, look at ARK, with it's mod support having come fairly early into EA there are thousands of mods available for players/server admins to choose from. With new mods coming out every day. Giving players the tools, and support, to create the world the way they feel it should be helps to build communities on a server. Even if you limit the mod support initially to adding things like armor, clothing, weapons, just having the ability to do so will expand the community and support for the game from the community of gamers a great deal. Plus some of the most popular server mods for ARK include entirely new maps, new creatures, weapons, and even new kinds of building options.

Don't dangle promised features that can't be delivered in a reasonable amount of time in front of the player base. If a feature is going to take a very long time to code into a working form, or just can't be coded within a couple of months, don't put it in as an upcoming feature on patch notes. ARK has done this with DirectX 12 implementation for nearly a year, which has constantly annoyed the player base. It's a different thing to have a blog post, or video, that lists out features that are planned to eventually be added but will take time, or are too difficult to add at this time but are planned to eventually be added. Just don't point to those listed features with every content update saying 'It's on the way!'.

Don't let players camp spawn areas, or build in spawn areas in such a way that just spawning in amounts to being stuck in traps players build. This has been an issue with ARK and Rust (though a bit worse at times in Rust due to other mechanics. ie. their capture/enslave type mechanics). Also, when it comes to building, disallowing players to do foundation/pillar spam across the map should be a priority. ARK official servers have had this issue for nearly a year on some of them, which they've only now started to address, in which players spam foundations and pillars across the ENTIRE map so that no one else can build anywhere without their permission. Just don't allow that to happen.

Weekly or bi-weekly updates, blog posts, vlogs, videos, Q&A's, go a long way to keeping a community interested and willing to contribute to a project like this. So please take a little time to bring out into the light some of the work that has gone into, and will be going into, this game.

Thanks!
Posted Aug 23, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+19
Great to see Funcom here.

I was a huge AoC fan and played on Aquilona till the server merge came. I'm really excited about CE and looking forward to the freedom and diversity it promises. AoC became a too traditional linear PvE MMO for my taste.

I'll get back to you with ideas once I've learned more about CE the game as I just found out about it today.
Posted Aug 24, 16
List
Undo
Theryl o
Votes:
+11
Online on Site
I see that Witchingbones and Scrivnomancer (aka Joshua Doetsch, ex-lead writer for FC) gave us a nice shoutout on Twiter this morning. I suspect we'll see some TSW folks poking around.
Posted Aug 26, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+19
Interesting discussion started on one player / account - one character limit

Here's some views from me:

I can see the argument for both multi character accounts and one account one character.

One down side of multi character accounts or rather using alts is that they can, in my opinion and experience, somewhat stifle and narrow the interractive, player to player, experience both RP and gameplay.

Whereas I understand the use and purpose of alts to drive a storyline and flesh out the experience, I often see that the RP in these storylines becomes exclusive, cliquey, a bit forced. As these characters have certain agendas determined by a single player in order to drive a plot. For obvious reasons they can only appear one at a time and can at times lead the RP "feel" dangerously close to a revolving door, staged melodrama.

I applaud players who really can pull this off and make it inclusive, responsive and spontaneous. I've seen it done but sadly not often enough. Personally I would rather see players put their storytelling and RP skills to use with the community at large using the characters and settings at hand to mould their stories organically.

In the same vein I can see the use of alts to fulfill various game functions making the player in effect self-reliant. However doesn't this approach defeat the point of a co-operative style game where players are intended to carve out a niche for themselves in a harsh world so that they become useful and sort after and can develop a reputation? Even if its just for being a useless douchebag, it's still a reputation.

If Bob's alts that can craft his different bits of gear and the food and other essentials he needs why does he need to seek out and interact with any other player?

So in summary:

1/ I prefer 1 account 1 character limitation
2/ I also advocate real PvP with player looting options. its a survival game so full loot should be in as its the established way to get stuff you don't have or can't get any other way.
3/ Will a theft/ pickpocket mechanic be in game? Will there be craftable locks / lock picking skills
4/ I understand there's a cool sacrifice a player to gain reglious power (magic) type mechanic in game. For this to work in an RP setting does sacrifice mean something as final as "death" or is it more of a blood offering ?
5/ If there is a final "death" scenario. Under what circumstances does it happen and what are the options for rerolling?
6/ Does the rerolling character start of again in "jesus mode" or do they get to transfer some of that hard earned basic learning across from their now dead character to the new one or is it a straight re design the avatar and reallocate your account XP ?
7/ Are long acting poisons and diseases a "thing" in game with craftable cures
8/ I strongly agree with improving the design of the undergarments compared to AoC. Those were an after thought at best.
9/ I strongly agree with vicinity chat over global or other wise and a server global off option would be really nice . It increases immersion immensely, whereas global which comes from MMO's detracts so much. Imagine a situation where a stronghold is under attack and needs to send out a messenger to allies to get help - yes there's real drama and consequences. Of course players will always bring there own Voice comms if they feel the need. Global and other general chat channels pre-empt and remove the need for so much real comms in-game/ in-situ as they provide it all at a click in a constant stream of info.
10/ Pack animals and mounts, do these need to be fed and watered too just like crops and farm animals,....i hope so
11/ I understand there's a thrall system to help take care of mundane stuff, cool . do we design our own thralls when we have accrued enough stuff ie "craft" them, or buy or enslave what the game makes available to us?
Posted Aug 27, 16
Votes:
+174
Oh my goodness I don't know why I didn't mention this.... a decent /walk toggle please.
Posted Aug 27, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+47
A good whisper system, which isn't just like a /tell in most games. What I mean is that if you are 'whispering' it only carries in chat a few meters at most. Person to person tells, don't really feel they ever help with RP, and in many cases are just used for OOC chats, ranting at people about things, or secret messages.

Basically i feel there should be several 'levels/layers' of chat encompassing the above mentioned whisper, the 'typical' say, and shouts which cover larger distances. I do not feel that 'Global' level chat should be a default. I also feel that voice chat should be an option, but based on a range similar to the 'say' level of text chat.

Languages should be in the game, SWG initially had a great system where a player could speak in their characters species language and only those that knew the language could understand what was said; or they could speak in 'Basic' the universally understood language (though Wookiees could only speak their species language, while able to learn to understand all the others). Players could teach others their language. This would fit quite well with RP, and give reasons for people to RP. Having to learn a language through interaction with other players, and earning their trust to teach you. Though there should be a base trade tongue/trade language which everyone would know and could speak, and to a degree read/write. But different regional, or kingdom, based languages should be an option to have during character generation, be it Kushite, Cimmerian, or others.
Posted Aug 28, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+624
Admins
Oh my goodness I don't know why I didn't mention this.... a decent /walk toggle please.
Yes! Men in AoC walked like gorillas and in ESO they walk like there's something rigid and uncomfortable rammed up you know where. And all women in MMOs walk as if they are on a catwalk for Prada. A RANGE of walks would be the best scenario.
AbinIjg.png
Posted Aug 28, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+191
wrote:
A good whisper system, which isn't just like a /tell in most games. What I mean is that if you are 'whispering' it only carries in chat a few meters at most. Person to person tells, don't really feel they ever help with RP, and in many cases are just used for OOC chats, ranting at people about things, or secret messages.

Basically i feel there should be several 'levels/layers' of chat encompassing the above mentioned whisper, the 'typical' say, and shouts which cover larger distances. I do not feel that 'Global' level chat should be a default. I also feel that voice chat should be an option, but based on a range similar to the 'say' level of text chat.

I'm quoting the Reddit AMA here: "Our full chat system will have speech bubbles and text chat. However, the early access plan is to have VOIP and very basic text chat". There will also be a clan chat for players who group up.
wrote:
Languages should be in the game, SWG initially had a great system where a player could speak in their characters species language and only those that knew the language could understand what was said; or they could speak in 'Basic' the universally understood language (though Wookiees could only speak their species language, while able to learn to understand all the others). Players could teach others their language. This would fit quite well with RP, and give reasons for people to RP. Having to learn a language through interaction with other players, and earning their trust to teach you. Though there should be a base trade tongue/trade language which everyone would know and could speak, and to a degree read/write. But different regional, or kingdom, based languages should be an option to have during character generation, be it Kushite, Cimmerian, or others.

While this does indeed sound fantastic for roleplaying this isn't on our feature list.

This isn't implemented yet, but it will be, says the game's creative lead. :)

wrote:
Mod support needs to be put into a higher priority than post EA, look at ARK, with it's mod support having come fairly early into EA there are thousands of mods available for players/server admins to choose from. With new mods coming out every day. Giving players the tools, and support, to create the world the way they feel it should be helps to build communities on a server. Even if you limit the mod support initially to adding things like armor, clothing, weapons, just having the ability to do so will expand the community and support for the game from the community of gamers a great deal. Plus some of the most popular server mods for ARK include entirely new maps, new creatures, weapons, and even new kinds of building options.

Don't dangle promised features that can't be delivered in a reasonable amount of time in front of the player base. If a feature is going to take a very long time to code into a working form, or just can't be coded within a couple of months, don't put it in as an upcoming feature on patch notes. ARK has done this with DirectX 12 implementation for nearly a year, which has constantly annoyed the player base. It's a different thing to have a blog post, or video, that lists out features that are planned to eventually be added but will take time, or are too difficult to add at this time but are planned to eventually be added. Just don't point to those listed features with every content update saying 'It's on the way!'.

Don't let players camp spawn areas, or build in spawn areas in such a way that just spawning in amounts to being stuck in traps players build. This has been an issue with ARK and Rust (though a bit worse at times in Rust due to other mechanics. ie. their capture/enslave type mechanics). Also, when it comes to building, disallowing players to do foundation/pillar spam across the map should be a priority. ARK official servers have had this issue for nearly a year on some of them, which they've only now started to address, in which players spam foundations and pillars across the ENTIRE map so that no one else can build anywhere without their permission. Just don't allow that to happen.

Weekly or bi-weekly updates, blog posts, vlogs, videos, Q&A's, go a long way to keeping a community interested and willing to contribute to a project like this. So please take a little time to bring out into the light some of the work that has gone into, and will be going into, this game.

All duly noted. We know we've been a bit dark lately, especially since the game was pushed back to January. The straight forward is that all plans for streams, blogs, videos, etc had to be postponed and reworked to fit into the new release schedule. And with summer vacations and other things happening it took a while for things to get going again. But we're getting there.

wrote:
*snip*

So in summary:

1/ I prefer 1 account 1 character limitation
2/ I also advocate real PvP with player looting options. its a survival game so full loot should be in as its the established way to get stuff you don't have or can't get any other way.
3/ Will a theft/ pickpocket mechanic be in game? Will there be craftable locks / lock picking skills
4/ I understand there's a cool sacrifice a player to gain reglious power (magic) type mechanic in game. For this to work in an RP setting does sacrifice mean something as final as "death" or is it more of a blood offering ?
5/ If there is a final "death" scenario. Under what circumstances does it happen and what are the options for rerolling?
6/ Does the rerolling character start of again in "jesus mode" or do they get to transfer some of that hard earned basic learning across from their now dead character to the new one or is it a straight re design the avatar and reallocate your account XP ?
7/ Are long acting poisons and diseases a "thing" in game with craftable cures
8/ I strongly agree with improving the design of the undergarments compared to AoC. Those were an after thought at best.
9/ I strongly agree with vicinity chat over global or other wise and a server global off option would be really nice . It increases immersion immensely, whereas global which comes from MMO's detracts so much. Imagine a situation where a stronghold is under attack and needs to send out a messenger to allies to get help - yes there's real drama and consequences. Of course players will always bring there own Voice comms if they feel the need. Global and other general chat channels pre-empt and remove the need for so much real comms in-game/ in-situ as they provide it all at a click in a constant stream of info.
10/ Pack animals and mounts, do these need to be fed and watered too just like crops and farm animals,....i hope so
11/ I understand there's a thrall system to help take care of mundane stuff, cool . do we design our own thralls when we have accrued enough stuff ie "craft" them, or buy or enslave what the game makes available to us?

A lot of stuff to answer here, so I'll be straight and to the point:

1. Noted
2. You can loot other players
3. No pickpocketing or lockpicking. You can keep stuff locked away from other players.
4. The latter.
5. There will be a system in place for that, but I don't have the details right now.
6. A new character is a new character, starting from scratch.
7. Yes.
8 and 9. Noted.
10. This hasn't been planned for.
11. I'd love to answer that, but we're not giving away too many details about the thrall system right now. It's your typical developer answer, I know, but that's how it is right now. :p
Funcom community manager, working on Conan Exiles.

http://twitter.com/ConanExiles | http://facebook.com/ConanExiles | http://reddit.com/r/ConanExiles
Posted Aug 29, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 17
Top Posters
658 Posts
211 Posts
196 Posts
171 Posts
170 Posts
Upcoming birthdays (11)