of 2

Armor and Temp's: A critique

15 replies
Jorint o
Votes:
+34
Online on Site
Untagged users
9th: Hardened Steel Armor (Frozen North)
Spoiler: PicShow
Ladies and Gent's...let's break it down.
Chain Maiil over a leather gambeson/tunic in fur trim. Enough fur trim that at the end of the chainmail it looks integrated and at the sleeves it poofs out till you get to the heavy braced fully covered heavy gloves. Heavy woolen pants, with metal braced leather boots. All in all, a ten out of ten northern heavy armor design. Looks like it keeps you amazingly warm right?

WRONG.

It cools you right down. Like nearly reptile cools you down.

Funcom...this was a prank, right? Tell me this was a prank. Roman/Greece/Mediterranean inspired armor with half my body on display warms me up....but woolen, leather, full body coverage chain mail is cooling me down?

Rank: The armor is amazing. Just do us all one HUGE Favor. Change the temperature stats between Heavy Armor (Base game) and Hardened Steel Armor. They don't work they way you have them working and as neutral armors...I believe it is imperative you do so for a happier player base. Again other wise...what was the point giving us armor we can only make from the North items...that is USELESS IN THE NORTH.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Jorint o
Votes:
+34
Online on Site
Untagged users
10th: SILENT LEGION (Black Keep reward recipe)
Spoiler: PicShow
*rubs temples*......Oh come on.

COME ON. This armor is FANTASTIC. Just like the Dregs, it is unique and wonderful and....oh wait. Useless. Unlike reptile armor, it is useless in the North. You know...the area the dungeon we get it comes from?

It cools you down two points per armor. Two points.

And it it is by far the heaviest armor I have ever witnessed. Look at that. It's actual plate mail over chain mail with a tattered lower end of a tabard. The leggings are even chain mail. This armor screams "You will be warm or you will pay for assuming other wise." You don't MOVE in armor like that and go "WOW, what a breeze!" Because chainmail like that on bare skin just don't happen.

Rank: Change it to warm up...seriously. We already have the dregs armor that cools us down. Have this armor warm us up. There is NOT one viable reason why it should be freezing me to the bone to wear it in the REGION WE TOOK IT FROM.
Posted Sep 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Jorint o
Votes:
+34
Online on Site
Untagged users
11th: RANDOM (From both Base Game and Frozen North)
Lets start with something that is amazing in the fore thought.
Spoiler: Leather CraftsmenShow
The open tunic cools you down, much like the base item it is derived from, the fiber shirt. The heavy leather and fur trimmed workers gauntlets however...Warm you up.

Fore thought in the use of items? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas
*breathes*. Thank you. This proves every point I know of the dev's. You are more then competent of the fore thought that will make this game exactly what Bylos desires, a step ahead of every other survival game out there. A wonderous immersion and tool many a gamer can attest will be amazing.

Then to the helms as their are three, I will list all and just go through them as we have come to the end of the critique nearly.
Spoiler: Sandstorm MaskShow
Spoiler: Heavy closed HelmShow
Spoiler: Heavy horned HelmShow

Sandstorm Rank: Amazing, it cools down like a desert item should.
Heavy Closed Helm: Now despite due to the closed nature of this helm and what looks to be mongol/hyrkanian design I believe this should give you warmth, not cool you down. The eyes may be open but that sweltering heat sent right back at you by being closed at the neck and right in front of the face? It should warm you.
Heavy Horned Helm: This one I think should cool you down, as it has the same basic structure as the heavy armor helm (base game) which also SHOULD cool you down. And thankfully this Helm does cool you down....so make Heavy Armor Helm do the same. Thank you funcom.

Critique of actual items finished, feel free to respond now while I write up my proposed armors post.
Posted Sep 23, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Jorint o
Votes:
+34
Online on Site
Untagged users
12th: Proposed Armors
Spoiler: StygianShow
First, I do like the fact it is medium armor. It speaks to the versatility of the people it comes from. If I could ask anything of it bonus wise I would say a poison immunity.
Spoiler: ZingaranShow
Again, I like the fact this is medium. It lends to the ideal that National Armors are rarely heavy or light. (But I will be broaching that) If I could ask or suggest a bonus, it's kind of a toss up between a speed bonus or a bonus for using bladed weapons.
Spoiler: Zamorian (Rogue/Thief perhaps? Since their is a Zamorian Dancer already)Show
This however, I have a firm belief should be light armor. With a bonus of either lowering aggro/or even giving a bit of a transparent effect for easier sneaking. That would fit best in among the theme of these people and the armor look itself.

And now, to a proposed couple of sets.

Aesir
Spoiler: A thoughtShow
This was the closest I could find to what I have seen in depictions of the comics. I suppose the only thing I would change would be the skirting. Change that to actual woolen leggings, with chain mail hanging off one side. Also a bit of a fur mantle on the opposite shoulder of the chainmail hanging. This armor should be heavy.

Cimmerian
Spoiler: The farthest rightShow
Our conan kin need some love, and not just fur armor inspired by a tunic from Age of Conan. I would say the furthest right for them in my personal opinion but all four could work equally well. The armor should be medium, in keeping with the versatility of the cimmerian fighting style, and the usual status quo of the National armors.

Critique entirely finished now.
Posted Sep 23, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Jorint o
Votes:
+34
Online on Site
Untagged users
I am more then aware I missed "Star metal Armor" And that was due to the fact I covered its attributes in the Ymir Believer armor among the Religious armor post.
Posted Sep 23, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+566
Admins
Online on Site
This is a fantastic analysis and thank you so much for taking the time to put it together and share it here! I can't say I disagree with any of it though I have to wonder if they just wanted folks who play in the south to get to use one of the new armors when they put the cooling factor on the Silent Legion. Which still makes no sense and does indeed need to be changed.

As to the proposed armors, they look amazing! However Bones I have this to say...

rU5bxfb.jpg

Don't you DARE put thigh high stocking on this outfit dammit! LOL Either make them full leggings or, even better, leave them off entirely!
"I speak the Word from the hidden gulfs that never knew the sun
Send me a servant for my hate, oh scaled and shining One!"
― Robert E. Howard

Conan Exiles Roleplay: http://conanexilesrp.enjin.com/home
Posted Oct 7, 17
Page
of 2
Top Posters
588 Posts
211 Posts
178 Posts
172 Posts