Page
of 17

Funcom community manager checking in

163 replies
Votes:
+21
Untagged users
wrote:

And I personally feel that "survival" doesn't just mean running around slaughtering each other. TRUE survival means building community, forging alliances, trading with other groups, etc. For instance I would LOVE to be able to travel to the strongholds of others as a diplomat/representative of my clan and actually be able to stay with them in that capacity for a time. Societies built up directly BECAUSE of survival and I would LOVE to see this game honestly recognize that and cater to that playstyle as well.

Great points and I obviously agree! Hopefully Funcom is still reading this thread... :)
Posted Apr 7, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+58
Untagged users
While it might happen, I wouldn't expect much in the way of fast-travel. If it's present at all, I'd say to expect it to be very minimal. If it comes, cool, but I'd say not to hold you breath, as that does undermine (to an extent) the survival aspect of the game significantly.

I'd be okay with it, personally. But part of what I want from CE is to incorporate more MMO elements than survival games tend to. I'm skeptical this will happen, but I'll mostly always welcome things that step in that direction.
"Why do good people pick the wrong people in love?"
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky.
Always follow your heart.
-Aethos Desiderio
Into The Badlands - Conan Exiles server
Posted Apr 10, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+52
Untagged users
I don't think there should ever be fast travel unless it means riding on the back of a mount.

"part of what I want from CE is to incorporate more MMO elements than survival games tend to"

Agreed, because what would be REALLY GREAT is if Conan Exiles can transcend the label "survival" game, considering most games that call themselves "survival" games are just unfinished "sandbox" games, and actually label itself as a "sandbox" game. If one considers that the difference between a "survival" game and an MMORPG is that there is no plot lines that are being forced upon the player, or NPCs with big yellow arrows pointing down from the sky over their heads, then there is still a lot of room to grow and still retain the label "survival". Consider that SWG, the greatest MMORPG of all time (IMHO) had very little in the way of the modern MMORPG elements, at least until the botch-up.
6.jpg
Posted Apr 10, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+58
Untagged users
...That's actually a really good point. I hadn't thought to put it that way, but that's honestly true for the wide majority of survival games. They're basically unfinished sandbox games. Lol.

What would be an ideal game for me that blends elements of action, MMORPG's, and survival, would essentially be kind of like Skyrim played with Frostfall/Campfire/Realistic Needs (hunger etc) mods, only multiplayer. This is VAGUELY where I expect (read: hope) CE will *eventually* end up.

Would prefer more complex combat though - Skyrim (or even CE) isn't a good example on that front.. Something in the vein of BDO or Monster Hunter or Dark Souls.
-Aethos Desiderio
Posted Apr 10, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+63
Untagged users
I agree with this. Conan Exiles MUST differentiate itself from the cliche' of "Survival game" and i think it has all the right possibilities to achieve this. Funcom is probably the best company if you are looking for a good story and that puts them ahead of any other company working in the survival business. If they relize that this game has more potential than any MMO, then we're in real business. WHy bother spending immense amounts of cash with MMo content when you can have your communities entertain themselves only with the publisher providing the right tools for the job?
Keep giving us toys, Funcom, we can make our own fun with them! :)
Posted Apr 10, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+566
Admins
Online on Site
I agree with this. Conan Exiles MUST differentiate itself from the cliche' of "Survival game" and i think it has all the right possibilities to achieve this. Funcom is probably the best company if you are looking for a good story and that puts them ahead of any other company working in the survival business. If they relize that this game has more potential than any MMO, then we're in real business. WHy bother spending immense amounts of cash with MMo content when you can have your communities entertain themselves only with the publisher providing the right tools for the job?
Keep giving us toys, Funcom, we can make our own fun with them! :)

So ALL of this! New biomes and new dungeons will always be deeply appreciated but there is no need for "quests" because those can and should be provided by the players themselves and, in the case of private servers, the server Admins. What we need are the tools, we'll provide the story ourselves. So keep giving us things we can DO, more abilities, more emotes, more crafts and skills.

The ability to make "basements" and therefore our own "dungeons" would be amazing as well. Cavern walls and all the things that make up the look of caves and tunnels would be remarkable building tools to go along with the server admin tools of being able to spawn in adversaries. Anything we can do to enrich the world ourselves is a great boon and should be, IMHO, where the focus for future ongoing development after official release lies.

In short, give us a fully realized world we can live and breathe in... we'll do the rest!
"I speak the Word from the hidden gulfs that never knew the sun
Send me a servant for my hate, oh scaled and shining One!"
― Robert E. Howard

Conan Exiles Roleplay: http://conanexilesrp.enjin.com/home
Posted Apr 11, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+52
Untagged users
Make our own dungeons! Brilliant!

Think on this...an admin can create a dungeon that, upon finishing the quest, actually collapses in on itself, forcing the players to flee before they are swallowed up. How REH is That? Perfect!
6.jpg
Posted Apr 12, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+58
Untagged users
Having admin'd in multiple survival games, I do like all of these ideas. One of the reasons I generally can't accept anything less than full admin-level powers on a server is the desire to create encounters, conflict, content, dungeons, etc. That creative streak, to provide this fun and these scenarios with friends.

With that said, unless they actually provide some of this, themselves, it is unrealistic to expect admins to be able to do it. Supported quest systems? Not happening unless they put the framework in. And unless they intend to make use of it, themselves, there is no reason to dedicate the time and effort into creating the framework - it's seen (not wrongly so) as a waste of time and money. Collapsing caves? I LOVE that idea too.

Just saying, expect a lot of things like this to be pretty archaic or primitive unless they actually put their own stuff in the game. Because, again, it's something of a waste of time and money to create the skeleton but not use it. If you're familiar with the story of Everquest Next, this model has been tried before. Their vision was to create all the framework but none of the buildings, metaphorically speaking. Create the tools, but not use them to build. To the disappointment of myself (and many others), the game eventually collapsed on itself. Hell, even the tool (Landmark) eventually had the plug pulled because it stopped being worth the upkeep.

Anyway. I love all the ideas. Just trying to keep it realistic :p
-Aethos Desiderio
Posted Apr 12, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+566
Admins
Online on Site
wrote:
Having admin'd in multiple survival games, I do like all of these ideas. One of the reasons I generally can't accept anything less than full admin-level powers on a server is the desire to create encounters, conflict, content, dungeons, etc. That creative streak, to provide this fun and these scenarios with friends.

With that said, unless they actually provide some of this, themselves, it is unrealistic to expect admins to be able to do it. Supported quest systems? Not happening unless they put the framework in. And unless they intend to make use of it, themselves, there is no reason to dedicate the time and effort into creating the framework - it's seen (not wrongly so) as a waste of time and money. Collapsing caves? I LOVE that idea too.

Just saying, expect a lot of things like this to be pretty archaic or primitive unless they actually put their own stuff in the game. Because, again, it's something of a waste of time and money to create the skeleton but not use it. If you're familiar with the story of Everquest Next, this model has been tried before. Their vision was to create all the framework but none of the buildings, metaphorically speaking. Create the tools, but not use them to build. To the disappointment of myself (and many others), the game eventually collapsed on itself. Hell, even the tool (Landmark) eventually had the plug pulled because it stopped being worth the upkeep.

Anyway. I love all the ideas. Just trying to keep it realistic :p

Oh I get where you are coming from. And this IS billed as a survival game. That's where the focus is going to be throughout EA and, sadly, rightly so. BUT... since they ARE putting dungeons in the game I can hope they will give server Admins the ability to do so as well. After all, the "architecture," so to speak, is there for them to do so. THEY can "build" underground so, theoretically at least, we should be able to as well.... if they enable that capability. In my "perfect game" we'd be able to put trees and rocks and the like wherever we want them as well. Because I like to landscape as much as I like to interior decorate! The Sims 3 had a clunky world building tool and players did some AMAZING things with it. Some of my favorite TS3 Worlds are still player made ones. I dream of a day when we'll be turned loose with these same tools to modify the worlds of the servers we run. I know it won't be this game that does it.... but I can see in this game the first steps towards it and I find that exciting. One day I hope there will be a suite of tools to build your own world where you can choose a biome category (desert, mountainous, forest, coastal, jungle, etc) and THEN be able to choose a building theme (Medieval, Renaissance, Victorian, Deco, Ancient Egyptian, Greek and Roman, futuristic, primitive, etc) for your building assests and just go to town. And once your world is built you can add players with an amazing character generation setup. And, of course, spawn in your own monsters and the like.... and have plenty of themes to choose from there as well. Think of it as the GURPS survival game.

Well, anyway... a girl can dream.
― Robert E. Howard

Posted Apr 12, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+566
Admins
Online on Site
wrote:
Character creation is actually something I'm directly responsible over and I'm putting in a lot of love and care within the time and resource constraints we have. It's my favourite part of character centric games. Can't wait to show you what we're doing with it :) My RP history has been a big influence in planning out what goes into it.

So... how we coming on being able to have different body types Bones ? *looks hopeful*
― Robert E. Howard

Posted Apr 26, 17
List
Undo
Page
of 17
Top Posters
588 Posts
211 Posts