Page
of 17

Funcom community manager checking in

163 replies
Votes:
+191
Untagged users
Hey everyone!

I'm Jens Erik, Funcom's community manager working on Conan Exiles. I'm terrible at introductions, so if all of this comes off as incredibly forced and formal it's because I don't really know any other way of writing stuff like this in English.

Basically what I'm here for is to get your input on the game, what you guys would like to see in the game and how we can create a game more suited for roleplaying. I've already looked through some threads here and written down some of the things that's already been mentioned, but I'm making this thread to make it more official, so to speak. :)

If you'd rather give me feedback directly, you can email me at jenserikv(at)funcom(dot)com, or hit me up on our official Twitter feed, twitter.com/ConanExiles.

Hopefully this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :)
Funcom community manager, working on Conan Exiles.

http://twitter.com/ConanExiles | http://facebook.com/ConanExiles | http://reddit.com/r/ConanExiles
Posted Aug 19, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+109
Untagged users
Awesome to have you here! :)
Posted Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+177
Untagged users
Exiles artist and roleplayer of 15 years checking in, too. I've been lurking this site since it first opened up. Excited to see this community growing and I can't wait to play with you guys :)

(For any official CE related matters refer to Jens above, I'm just hovering around here!)
Funcom character artist working on Conan Exiles.
Posted Aug 19, 16 · Last edited Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+109
Untagged users
Awesome seeing you guys here indeed! x)
Posted Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+566
Admins
Online on Site
You are very welcome here! Glad to have you! Of course now you've gone and done it, asking us what we want! We want everything of course! LOL

You can never give us too much character customization. Hairstyles, makeup up, tattoos, scars, jewelry and lots of it! The ability to "dye" clothing and armor is huge. And please, for the love of Set, don't tie it to in game achievements! Make it easily accessible! And make changing things like hair and makeup easy to do as well!

From what I understand so far you aren't going to make us choose from specific races with specific advantages and disadvantages but rather in character creation give us the ability to make characters with the look of any race we want. I HOPE that is still true! The more flexibility the better. If I want to make a character that is half Stygian and half Cimmerian, the ability to access racial looks from both and blend them together will be amazing.

LOTS of emotes and if you keep the dance system from AoC I will love you forever! LOL

Okay that's the "fluff" stuff but to roleplayers, being able to create and play a character with the look we really want is incredibly important.

As for game play, we are all excited about open world PVP but it MAY be nice to have some "safe zones" or the ability to have a private instance that can only be accessed by those you are grouped with for longer running and more conversational RP. As much as we love the excitement of killing monsters and each other, sometimes we just want to talk! LOL

Someone else has already said that a world as utterly overrun by monsters as AoC and most MMOs is not terribly desirable. In a survival scenario the things you should be most afraid of is other people. The challenge of staying alive and eventually thriving in harsh conditions is also a huge draw and if we're CONSTANTLY fighting tooth and nail against lots of big nasty monsters that really actually takes away from the survival aspect.

If it is at all possible, learn from SWG. Give PLAYERS the ability to create events and spawn in the monsters they want their party to fight. Many roleplayers come from the old pen and paper RPG games where you had a GM who crafted adventures for their party. The ability to do this within the virtual world of an MMO is what many of us have been looking for, literally, for years. Let us do some of the work of keeping ourselves entertained. Give us the tools to be GMs ourselves again!

Okay, that's it from me for now, I'll turn this over to the rest of the gang! And thank you so much again for checking in!
"I speak the Word from the hidden gulfs that never knew the sun
Send me a servant for my hate, oh scaled and shining One!"
― Robert E. Howard

Conan Exiles Roleplay: http://conanexilesrp.enjin.com/home
Posted Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+177
Untagged users
Character creation is actually something I'm directly responsible over and I'm putting in a lot of love and care within the time and resource constraints we have. It's my favourite part of character centric games. Can't wait to show you what we're doing with it :) My RP history has been a big influence in planning out what goes into it.
Funcom character artist working on Conan Exiles.
Posted Aug 19, 16 · Last edited Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Skara x
Votes:
+408
Banned users
Welcome both of you!!
That you are here raises my expectations even higher to the RP-friendliness of Exiles :)

There are so many things to want and wish, but I'll stick to the basic necessities; the essentials of what can make this game great for RPers.
I am sure you have incorporated much already or plan to, but I'll still wish for

• Vincinity chat (RPing in a global mode won't happen and beig forced voice programs will turn away many RPers)
  • Emotes
  • Number of characters possible per server (I will i.e. often make a character to use an NPC to give a story momentum or to make a villain in a plot)
  • Continous possibilities for customization (If a character or NPC-character is permakilled it is essential that you can change his/her hair/beard etc. to recycle the character instead of having to build from scratch. The customisation possibilities have to be available for in-game currency.

And then I refer to Morna's post regarding the rest :)
Again, it is great to see you both here!
banner.png
Posted Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Naatok a
Votes:
+93
Admins
Very glad to see Funcom's Community Manager and a real live Developer Artist working on the game!!

We role players are a mouthy lot when it comes to what we want and don't want, and like and don't like in our online, multi-player games. I'll apologize in advance for our vehemence. It is not rooted in greed for customization and character aesthetics control, but instead in the fact that few, if any, MMORPGS have catered to our character customization desires.

For the record, I thought Age of Conan did a fantastic job of providing character customization variety; a much better job of it than most other MMORPGS. There were, as I recall, several aesthetically pleasing hair styles, and a wide range of character facial customization available. We would Love to see even more hairstyle ranges and other customizations in Conan Exiles.

Morna has already covered several categories that role play communities typically either dread or salivate over with new online multi-player games, so I'll try not to be redundant there.

In addition to what she has outlined, I'd like to add that a realistic combat system is very appealing to role players. Of course we have very little information to go on with Conan Exiles, but I can say that level progressive combat systems are just stale. If I had the talent and capital resources of a game company, I would work toward a system of skill progression with diminishing returns, (making it harder (and/or more time consuming) to get even more proficient, the more proficient your character becomes with a particular skill). Eventually characters reach a point where further betterment of a skill becomes extremely difficult or extremely time consuming, and so there tends to be more balanced competition among highly skilled characters.

For combat itself, I would like to see aim-tiered armor penetration and damage. I'm sure such a system would be a beast to code, but it would provide for more realism in combat, and more spectacular carnage should a player's aim be true. To me, having target locking and/or tab target switching (except perhaps for some limited form for magic) takes much of the fun and challenge out of virtual reality combat systems.

The combination of the two above would, in my opinion, make for a more exciting and challenging combat system, and would eliminate or reduce the tendency for multi-player game combat to be heavily decided by quality of gear.

Gear quality should matter, but it shouldn't dominate. Raw strength and skill should dominate the battlefield, with a healthy amount of Bel's Blessing ( Luck for those who aren't Hyboria fanatics).

Of course aesthetically pleasing clothing and armor are always things role players want, but I would like to go one further:

A warrior would have to be a fool to wear some types of armor depending upon the climate. Is there any chance that body temperature, dehydration and starvation are going to be factors in Conan Exiles? One might be wearing a fortress in armor, practically impregnable to blade, bolt or arrow, but quickly suffer dehydration, losing more and more strength and stamina until she or he is unable to fight on at all!

Of course, I'd love to see heavy exertion of all types take its toll upon characters' stamina. But that's me.

A role player can dream, can't he?
;)
13.jpg

"The oh so eathing Velvet Darkness they fear - Heed! - wherefore delve a barrow?
When in my arms "O! Come here" - I say, elsehither is naught but sorrow!
For what deemest thou so dear thy blood - When through my veins it could flood?"

-Theater of Tragedy, "Bring Forth Ye Shadow", from "Velvet Darkness They Fear"
Posted Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+381
Untagged users
Nice to see you both here, welcome to our little community and thank you for taking the time to step out of the shadows and ask our opinions. It truly means a lot to us. Sometimes we get jaded and grouchy because so many games before have thought that including chat bubbles should be enough to suffice a role player's desires and it simply isn't so. Again, thank you for caring enough to ask what we think!

Certainly character customization goes a very long way for most roleplayers. The more we can control as far as aesthetics, the better. I like to change up my look in the real world, so my characters would also like easy access to readjusting hairstyles, makeup, war paint, etc. So far, everything is looking phenomenal, Witchingbones, keep up the great work!

Most of these have been previously mentioned, but I don't think that their importance can be overstated.

• Hair - I really do understand that it is complicated, but I'd very much love to see some hairstyles that would be more appropriate to Stygians, Kushites and the Black Kingdoms of the south.

• Clothing - We really can never have too many clothing and armor choices. Even better if they are dyeable.

• Building - I am hoping for cultural styles of building, much like that of cultural clothing. Where roleplayers might differ slightly from non-roleplayers is that our villages and cities will serve as backdrops for our gatherings and they are a work of form as well as function. We'd love to be able to build amazing temple structures like one would find in the center of Luxor, or rustic little detailed camps like one would find in a small Aesir village. Being able to craft or decorate with floor cushions, hookahs, beds of various styles, etc. would breathe so much reality into our world.

• No Racial Limits - I am -very- excited that Stygians will finally be able to lift a sword in defence of their people and property as soldiers. From what I understand, racial choices won't have any bearing on what path an individual chooses to take. I really hope it stays that way. If, for some reason, a son of Asgard chose to wear nemes and shendytes while building statues to Set, let him.

• Character Slots - I am strongly echoing this one from Lleilwin. I frequently make alts to enhance not only my personal gaming experience, but that of friends playing along with me.

• Chat System - I know that localized text chat is on the table, but we are hoping that it is sooner rather than later. If we only have a global system to begin with there will be little to no roleplay happening.

Thanks again, both of you, for stopping in. We hope to see more of you and more amazing game tidbits in the near future!

badgergamers-logo250.png
Posted Aug 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+46
Untagged users
Now, I come from a VERY long history of pen and paper RPG's, MMO's, and reading of so many books I might as well be a library... so I find the things I love and champion them a long way. When it comes to Conan's canon, lore, mythos, setting... aiming for less than a mature rating is quite counter to all of that. One of the most jarring parts of AoC was the choice on a certain thing I'll discuss a bit later in this post.

Coming from a long history of MMO's I find there are certain mechanics, basic included features, and directly aimed for aspects which I would love to see in CE to some degree or another.

Having seen that CE is being built on the UE4 engine, like many other 'survival' games, and seeing that it's building is somewhat similar to several (Rust, ARK), I'd suggest having 'modular' building AND fully assembled building options. By this I mean that the standard build a foundation, build walls, build ceilings, etc. should be there; but that there should also be the ability to build and place full buildings in one placement (ie. Temples, bars, stables, forts). These could be built from specific floorplans, and allow for more casual players to have their own home, business, whatever without having to invest time or skill they may not have into a frustrating mechanic. UE4 games with building tend to all have issues with placement of objects, which tends to include misplacement, destruction, double placement (with attendant distruction).

SWG had wonderful buildings that could be placed, and every character had a set number of building slots to use for their businesses, homes, taverns, etc. While it this works wonderfully with full build placement construction, it would be a nightmare with free build as seen in pretty much all the UE4 survival games. But there should be some limit to how many buildings a single player can place.

On the line of SWG, they hit upon something by accident that gave them a fan base that to this day is still nostalgic to it... and that aspect was building in the social systems as an equal to the crafting and combat systems. This included entertainer skill trees which included such 'odd' skills as image design (ability to change another characters appearance) to dancer and musician. Giving players dances and music playing ability, with a system similar to SWG's 'flourish' system, and possibly allowing for the macroing and group macroing of those would go a LONG way to bringing back the social aspects that many remember fondly from SWG. Give the players a large number of emote animations as well, which can be targetted and non-targetted, and easy to use.

One of Warhammer Age of Reckoning's most well done things, which could be included in some fashion in CE, was the public boss battles. In which a dangerous and tough 'boss' would spawn in and every player in the area could join in taking it and it's underlings down. Each player getting rewards of loot based on how much they did to remove the threat of that 'boss'.

Swinging back to SWG it occurs to me that one of the more well recieved 'classes' in the game was the Beast Handler. Those skilled in that tree could tame combat pets, mounts, and the like. Something along these lines would be very much in line with the Conan world, with specialized people who capture, tame, and train animals for themselves and others. Including a breeding mechanic for those creatures would expand the usefulness to another level as well.

Looking at AoC one thing that I love and hate is the vanity tab. On the one hand it's nice to look how you like, on the other why should my slave silks hide full plate armor? I personally think that there should be a way to do vanity to make armor look a certain way, as well as the non-armor clothing. If possible having them layers so that it works like clothing>armor>vanity to armor would be much more to my liking. So that if you want to run around in clothing it would be fine, but you'd have to remove your armor (which makes perfect sense), otherwise the armor would cover (partially to fully) whatever you were wearing.

Depending on how character statistics are handled, I personally feel a weight based inventory would be best, not a slot based inventory. Though a blending of them would work as well, with such things as bags, packs, pack animals, growing how much could be carried. But armor, weapons, and clothing should affect carry capacity as well as attack/defense speeds. So that those in heavy armor with massive weapons would be slower, and able to carry less, than someone in light leather armor with daggers. This should of course be adjusted by strength and agility of the character to a degree.

Clothing and armor in a variety of looks. Taking a page from ESO's crafting styles wouldn't go wrong, but why not take it a step further and give crafters the ability to assemble armor/weapons using pieces which can have many different looks. So that say building a sword may have the option for a blade, hilt, and pommel which could be from 3 different 'styles' of look. And with clothing and armor, the ability to color them at crafting or after with the appropriate items would be loved by players. Because we love to have our own look, and not be 'Joe/Jane in armor X #492' on a server, but rather 'That's Joe/Jane in that awesome blue and green armor X'

And while I 'might' be in the minority, I find the concept of painted on underwear on character models a bit insulting in this setting. Anyone that has read the Conan stories, novels, old black and white comics, etc., will know that it is a brutal, sensual, and ADULT world. A world in which a Priestess of Set wears a costume that is literally just wrist and ankle bracelets, a neck piece, and a tiara/hair piece. Full and partial nudity is a norm in the Conan world, and painting on panties and underwear is jarring to the immersion.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mean having characters being 100% anatomically correct with erection mechanics and variable vulva. But somewhat anatomically correct modelling wouldn't go wrong. I also think that characters SHOULD have underwear on creation, but that it should be fully removeable, AND actually look like it fits the setting. Possibly having several options to choose from at creation, such as having a loincloth, or wrapped cloth, or loose shorts, or breast wrapping, etc. etc. Having those locked at a client level or server level on being removed (though should always be covered by armor or other clothing choices as appropriate) makes sense as well.

A somewhat not troll way to bind/imprison/enslave players and npc's, as well as hiring of npc's to perform tasks such as shopkeeping, guarding a fort/town/whatever, accompanying the player as added sword fodder.

The ability to have carts, wagons, boats, and have trade routes (player and npc).

Mounted combat. Pretty much sums that up.

I may think of other things, but that's a good starting point.
Posted Aug 20, 16
List
Undo
Page
of 17
Top Posters
588 Posts
211 Posts
178 Posts
172 Posts
170 Posts
There are no birthdays today.