Main Forum

Recommended Reading - Conan Stories by Robert E. Howard

8 replies
Votes:
+115
Untagged users
If you have never read Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, or not in their original (unedited) versions, these are the three books you should read:

The Coming of Conan (book 1)
The Bloody Crown of Conan (book 2)
The Conquering Sword of Conan (book 3).

These are all published by Del Rey books. They include "The Hyborian Age"; Hyborian Genesis; Notes on the Transcripts and Chronology; and the Notes on the Original Howard texts.

The reason these books should be considered above all others, is the original text, which were not published between the 1950's and the release of this series of books in 2003.

What is the difference?

Robert E. Howard was a writer and product of the 1920's "South". His writing reflected both racial and misogynistic leanings that were edited out for most of the published works that many of us grew up reading. For me that was the Tor Publishing books which brought Howard's and De Camp's stories together into a series of 12 novels.

Having read both versions, I found the originals to have lost some of their grittiness in the editing process. I also didn't find the parts that were edited out to be all that offensive anyway, but I'm a purist when it comes to freedom of speech.

I as a trained / educated historian also don't believe in what I call "chronocentrism", which is when we take social mores, ethics or sensibilities and retroactively apply them to previous generations. What we may consider to be morally wrong today, was likely not believed, or even understood as being morally wrong multi generations ago.

That being said, the books can be purchased via whatever online seller you choose. If you use Amazon, they can all be purchased for less than $45.00 and in their soft cover format (which I recommend because they are better and actually cheaper than the Kindle version).
Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

ROBERT E. HOWARD, "A Witch Shall Be Born," Weird Tales (1934)
Posted Feb 8, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+120
Untagged users
Anyone know of a place one could purchase either Marvel Comics or Dark Horse Comics in a bundle? Would prefer to be able to buy a larger pack than just book by book so to say.
enjin-1158862-Grihm-gray.png
Posted Feb 19, 16
Votes:
+115
Untagged users
wrote:
Anyone know of a place one could purchase either Marvel Comics or Dark Horse Comics in a bundle? Would prefer to be able to buy a larger pack than just book by book so to say.

Try Ebay, I see a few bundles there..... this one for example:

Conan 1-49 (Dark Horse, missing 5bks) + #0! SET! 45 comic books (b#12476)
Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

ROBERT E. HOWARD, "A Witch Shall Be Born," Weird Tales (1934)
Posted Feb 20, 16 · OP
Votes:
+120
Untagged users
wrote:
wrote:

Try Ebay, I see a few bundles there..... this one for example:

Conan 1-49 (Dark Horse, missing 5bks) + #0! SET! 45 comic books (b#12476)

I´l check that out. Might be a good place to start as any. Damn shame my old comics from when i was a kid is gone. Was always careful putting them back in their paper covers, but nonetheless, away they went :/
enjin-1158862-Grihm-gray.png
Posted Feb 20, 16
Votes:
+54
Untagged users
I own this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Conan-Cimmerian-Original-Adventures/dp/0345461517

It includes classic Howard short stories

1. The Phoenix on the Sword
2. The Frost-Giant's Daughter
3. The God in the Bowl
4. The Tower of the Elephant
5. The Scarlet Citadel
6. Queen of the Black Coast
7. Black Colossus
8. Iron Shadows in the Moon (aka Shadows in the Moonlight)
9. Xuthal of the Dusk (aka The Slithering Shadow)
10. The Pool of the Black One
11. The Vale of Lost Women
12. The Devil in Iron

The Tower of the Elephant and Queen of the Black Coast are my favorites, and I consider them required reading.
Posted Mar 4, 16
Votes:
+117
Online on Site
Untagged users
wrote:
If you have never read Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, or not in their original (unedited) versions, these are the three books you should read:

The Bloody Crown of Conan (book 2)
The Conquering Sword of Conan (book 3).

These are all published by Del Rey books. They include "The Hyborian Age"; Hyborian Genesis; Notes on the Transcripts and Chronology; and the Notes on the Original Howard texts.

The reason these books should be considered above all others, is the original text, which were not published between the 1950's and the release of this series of books in 2003.

What is the difference?

Robert E. Howard was a writer and product of the 1920's "South". His writing reflected both racial and misogynistic leanings that were edited out for most of the published works that many of us grew up reading. For me that was the Tor Publishing books which brought Howard's and De Camp's stories together into a series of 12 novels.

Having read both versions, I found the originals to have lost some of their grittiness in the editing process. I also didn't find the parts that were edited out to be all that offensive anyway, but I'm a purist when it comes to freedom of speech.

I as a trained / educated historian also don't believe in what I call "chronocentrism", which is when we take social mores, ethics or sensibilities and retroactively apply them to previous generations. What we may consider to be morally wrong today, was likely not believed, or even understood as being morally wrong multi generations ago.

That being said, the books can be purchased via whatever online seller you choose. If you use Amazon, they can all be purchased for less than $45.00 and in their soft cover format (which I recommend because they are better and actually cheaper than the Kindle version).

Thanks a lot for this mate. Im a avid reader and while not a educated historian I have studied and read quite a bit of military history for my job. I'll be purchasing your recommendation and getting them read before early release.

I need to get my head around the setting and the people of the setting before I play the game as I don't have much of a grasp on it now.
FezDtyf.png
Posted Dec 2, 16
Votes:
+281
Untagged users
For those of you who might want some visual references and would just sort of like a brief overview, it's a pretty fun book!: https://www.amazon.com/Conan-Ultimate-Worlds-Savage-Barbarian/dp/B003D7JYF4
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+46
Untagged users
I recommend the Red Nails story, though it may be easier to find in the comic format (I first read it in the magazine sized trade comic size decades ago).
Posted Dec 11, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+3
Untagged users
wrote:

Just ordered this - thanks for the rec! Looking forward to delving into the original material for this setting.
Posted Jan 4, 18
Top Posters
588 Posts
211 Posts
178 Posts
172 Posts
170 Posts
Happy Birthday!
&
Upcoming birthdays (11)
Birthday on Mon 22 Jan, 2018
Birthday on Mon 22 Jan, 2018